Microlearning in enterprise training is not an “eLearning-lite”. Just merging the existing thirty minutes eLearning courses into five nuggets does not translate to microlearning nuggets.
Microlearning is characterized by short, bite-sized learning courses (of 3-5 minutes long), which are designed to meet a particular learning objective. You can use microlearning in enterprise training to help learners:
- Solve a particular problem
- Learn new aspects
- Go deeper into specific aspects
- Train them on how to handle some job aspects that have changed.
Key Aspects of Microlearning in Enterprise Training
Initially, microlearning was used for informal training (notably, as just-in-time learning or performance support aid to reinforce primary training); however, nowadays, it is being applied in all aspects of enterprise training including:
- Formal training
- Performance support tools
- Post- or pre-workshop support for Instructor Led Training (ILT).
It is also worth noting that, micro-learning in enterprise training involves usage of high impact, rich media formats (such as interactive videos, mobile apps, animated videos and so on) to create an immersive and engaging learning experience.
Benefits of Adopting Microlearning for Enterprise Training
Benefits for learners
- Learner centric – We live in a world of distractions. This leaves micro learning as the perfect option because everything is delivered in a short, concise and succinct manner.
- Less time consuming – As we have seen, micro learning is an ideal strategy that allays the challenges of attention spans.
- Just-in-time-availability – Learning material is available to employees precisely at the time of their need and most notably, within their workflow.
- Better learning experience – Employing high impact, rich media formats guarantees a higher engagement level as well as sticky learning experiences.
- Accessible and flexible – It is designed for multi-device use providing employees the accessibility of training materials on the device of their choice.
Benefits for business
- Micro-learning nuggets usually have a shorter development cycle.
- Can be used to meet an enterprise training needs analysis (and for both informal and formal learning).
- It’s a training strategy that is easy to update and redeploy
- When compared to traditional training techniques, micro-learning is more cost effective; thanks to its shorter run lengths.
- Creates a higher impact – Guarantees better completion rates and more sticky learning experience. For instance, when employed as performance support, it conveniently helps employees learn on the job.
We hope the above-mentioned aspects provide you with enough reasons on why you should try microlearning for enterprise training.
If you would like to learn more about how to build the most effective employee training strategy!
If you’d like to know more about how EdApp’s mobile learning platform can help your internal training practices, get in touch at email@example.com. You can also try EdApp’s Mobile LMS and authoring tool for free by signing up here.
You might also be interested in, https://www.edapp.com/blog/mini-training-videos/